Want to make a delicious loaf of wheat bread right at home? This recipe makes it super easy to make healthy whole wheat bread in your own kitchen. You get a healthy loaf of bread that tastes amazing! Makes 4 large loaves.
– 16 C. 100% Whole Wheat Flour from Lehi Roller Mills
– 1/2-3/4 C. sugar (or honey)
– 1/4 C. butter, margarine or oil
– 2 Tbsp. salt (more or less to taste)
– 2 eggs
-3-4 Tbsp. Active Dry Yeast* (or 2 Tbsp. instant yeast).
– 6 1/2-7 1/1 C. luke-warm water
* If using active dry yeast, stir the yeast into the water. Let stand for 3-5 minutes to soften. If using instant yeast, mix the yeast into the flour.
- Attach a dough attachment to your mixer and combine flour, sugar, butter, salt and eggs in a bowl. Attach a lid and mix until the mixture is crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, sprinkle yeast into warm water, stir and set aside.
- Add your liquid mixture to the dry mixture, cover and mix on a low speed for 10 to 15 minutes until the dough is developed.
- Add additional water or flour as needed, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until dough is slightly sticky to the touch.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled (about 30-40 minutes).
- Once risen, punch down the dough.
- Lightly flour both your hands and a flat surface. Divide your dough into four equal portions on the floured surface. (Dough should feel slightly sticky and soft and stretch without tearing).
- Roll each portion into individual loaves and place in greased bread pans.
- Cover each loaf with plastic wrap and allow to rise until the dough is 1-2 inches above the sides of the bread pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. (Cover with foil the last 10 minutes if top is browning too fast).
- Remove from the pan and cool each loaf on a rack before slicing or storing.