It’s the 32nd anniversary of Lehi Roller Mills’ favorite movie, and we’re celebrating by throwing some facts your way! How well do you know Kevin Bacon and his dancing comrades in the film Footloose?
1) Kevin Bacon was offered the leading role in Stephen King’s “Christine”, but was convinced to turn it down for a chance to land the role of Ren McCormack.
2) There is a game called “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon” played by movie buffs who are challenged to relate Kevin Bacon back to any other Hollywood actor based on the concept of Six Degrees of Separation.
3) Bacon created SixDegrees.org, a charitable foundation hat allows people to donate to causes of their choice.
4) In 2003 Kevin Bacon received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
5) He was nominated for a Golden Globe for his role in “The River Wild”, which Meryl Streep also starred in.
6) Lehi Roller Mills was featured as Ren McCormack’s workplace and the site of the final high school dance.
7) Bacon made his acting debut in the film Animal House, a 1978 film.
8) The total budget for making Footloose was $7.5 million.
9) Tom Cruise, Robe Lowe, and John Travolta had the opportunity to play Ren McCormack.
10) Madonna auditioned for the role of Ariel.
11) Kenny Loggins’ hit was at number one on the Billboad Hot 100 for three weeks.
12) The song also won a Grammy for “Song of The Year”.
13) The movie is loosely based on real events that took place in Elmore City, Oklahoma in 1978.
14) Over 150 pairs of dancing feet were shot for the beginning credits of Footloose. The gold pair belonged to none other than Kenny Loggins.
15) At the time Footloose was filmed, Lehi Roller Mills was surrounded by nothing but open fields.
16) Kevin Bacon met his wife, Kyra Sedgewick, on set of the 1988 PBS movie, Lemon Sky.
17) To get into his role as high-schooler, Ren MacCormack, 24-year-old Bacon attended Payson Utah High School.
18) Chris Penn, who played Willard Hewitt, truly could not dance. So the scene in which Willard must learn to dance was written specifically for him.
19) Bacon was a fan of The Police, and based his hairstyle on Sting’s spiky ‘do.
20) Bacon was offered the part of Ren McCormack 30 seconds into the screen test.
21) Michelle Pfeiffer, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Heather Locklear, Meg Ryan, Jodie Foster, Bridget Fonda, Lori Loughlin, Diane Lane, and Brooke Shields all turned down the role of Ariel.
22) On October 22, 1988 Footloose opened as a Broadway Musical at the Richard Rodgers Theater. It was nominated for four Tony awards.
23) Last year, on the 30th anniversary of Footloose going to the big screen, Kevin Bacon did a special performance on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.
24) When Footloose opened in February 1984, it made more than $80 million.
25) For the dancing and gymnastic portions of the film, Bacon told the Hollywood Reporter that he had a “stunt double, a dance double, and two gymnastic doubles.”
26) There were five official filming locations for Footloose: Lehi, UT, Provo, UT, American Fork, UT, Payson, UT, and Orem, UT.
27) Sarah Jessica Parker played Ariel’s best friend, Rusty, a role for which she received a Best Young Supporting Film Actress in a Motion Picture Musical, Comedy, Adventure, or Drama nomination at the Sixth Annual Youth in Film Awards.
28) The film received negative feedback and reviews from both Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times and Dave Denby of New York Magazine.
29) The film was remade by Paramount Pictures in 2011, featuring Kenny Wormald, Julianne Hough, and Dennis Quaid.
30) Lori Singer, who played Ariel, is also an accomplished cellist and beat out Madonna in an audition for a role in the movie Fame.
31) Footloose has two taglines: 1) “The music is on his side.” 2) “He’s a big city kid in a small town. They said he’d never win. He knew he had to.”
Check out Lehi Roller Mills in this Footloose music video!
Check out Kevin Bacon on the Jimmy Fallon Show!